There are some kinds of food items which can stain the teeth and prevent them from looking sparkling white. Such foods include coffee, red wine, and even dark berries. These foods can stain the teeth but only temporarily. Hence they do not cause a permanent problem. However, coffee can have a more drastic effect on the colour of the teeth.
To maintain your oral hygiene, here are 4 important things and remedies which you can do:
- Take 1 teaspoon of pure and edible coconut oil.
- Make sure the oil is melted.
- Put this oil in your mouth and begin swishing it between your teeth.
- Do not gargle with the oil or swallow it.
- Make sure you are moving the oil around in your mouth while flushing it between and over your teeth.
- Do this for 15-20 minutes. If you are a beginner, then you may find it difficult to oil pull for 20 minutes. Hence start with doing this for 10 minutes and gradually increase the duration.
- Spit the oil out.
- You need not rinse your mouth after this. But if you feel uncomfortable with the taste of oil in your mouth, you can gargle with water once.
- Do this remedy once every morning.
How this helps:
Oil pulling is a wonderful and useful method of getting rid of yellowness in the teeth. Coconut oil tends to be an excellent choice for oil pulling since it contains lauric acid which kills the bacteria leading to oral problems. It also helps in pulling out the toxins from the gut and keeping oral hygiene. Oil pulling can be done with sesame oil as well.
- Take 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
- Add a few drops of water to it to get a paste. Do not add too much water or the paste will become runny and difficult to use.
- Simply apply this paste on your toothbrush and use it to clean your teeth as normal.
- Brush your teeth with it for 5 minutes.
- Rinse your mouth with cold and plain water.
- Do this remedy once a week.
How this helps:
Baking soda is slightly abrasive but effective. It helps in killing the bacteria in the mouth and prevents the growth of germs by making the environment in the mouth alkaline.
Apple cider Vinegar
- Take 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Add 4 tablespoons of water to it and mix.
- Use this solution as a mouthwash and swish it in your mouth for 5 minutes.
- Spit it out and rinse the mouth with plain water.
- Do this remedy 2 times a week.
How this helps:
Apple cider vinegar helps in killing the germs present in the mouth and also gets rid of any harmful bacteria. It gets rid of tartar and helps in removing the plaque deposited in the tеeth as well.
Oral Health Tips
- Consuming sugar can be harmful to the teeth. Excessive sugar not only allows bacteria to grow and result in multiple oral problems but also weakens the tеeth. Hence it is best to limit the consumption of sugar.
- Having a calcium-rich diet is essential for the maintenance of the enamel of our teeth. If this enamel gets eroded than the dentine (second layer of the teeth) may become visible and it is yellow in colour. Hence calcium-rich foods like dairy products must be consumed to make the teeth healthy.
- Frequent dental checkups are also essential for the assessment of the teeth. If you are someone who regularly consumes tobacco or other such substances, you may find your teeth looking discoloured. If this gets excessive then a dental cleanup may be the only option left.